One of the main concerns when a disaster happens is having a good supply of food and water. It can be easy to put off getting this until it’s too late. Stores can be emptied out of their supplies in a short time. I remember this happening when I lived in southwest Missouri and a snow storm would be coming toward town. Everybody rushed out to get stocked up before it hit. It was crazy. You don’t want to find yourself in that kind of stressful situation.
What food and water options are available?
Food. There are many options available with a long shelf life ranging from 5 to 25 years. Below are some examples of what you can get.
- Vacuum sealed food bars commonly come available in 400 calories each.
- Cook in the pouch food. These are more regular meal type options. Things like mac and cheese, noodle soup, cheesy lasagna, etc.
- Food buckets. This is a longer term item. These have meals available for approximately 52-84 servings. They’re useful for things like snowstorms and power outages that last for weeks at a time.
- Meat buckets. These food buckets focus on protein. Comes with chicken and beef and around 60 servings.
Water. Water is definitely an essential in a disaster situation. Below are some examples of what’s available to ensure you have enough water.
- Sealed water pouches. These typically are in backpack survival kits because they are light weight and portable.
- Water filtration devices. These can filter water to make it safe to drink. These are effective because it can be impractical to carry enough water for a multiple days’ supply.
- Water purification tablets. Each tablet can purify about 1 liter of water.
- Water storage. If you are not going to be on the move but instead will be hunkered down for a while then having enough water stored is the best strategy.
Having the necessary food and water available during a disaster situation is essential. Having your supply ready ahead of time will give you peace of mind that your family will be safe.
We created Mainely Survival to provide you with quality food and water options. We have a variety of products to take care of your needs.